Healthy Citrus Recipe
Orange Sunshine Pancakes
- 1 ½ cups packaged pancake mix
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup 2% milk (more if batter needs thinning)
- 1 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil, plus extra to oil pan
- ¼ cup flaked, sweetened coconut, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp fresh Sunkist® navel orange zest
- 3 Sunkist navel oranges, peel and pith removed, sliced into rounds*
- ½ cup whole almonds, roughly chopped
- 100% pure maple syrup (about 2 Tbsp per serving)
- In a large bowl, whisk pancake mix, egg, ¾ cup milk, oil, coconut, and zest until thoroughly combined; set aside.
- Heat non-stick griddle on medium high heat, lightly oil pan or spray with cooking or baking spray. Pour a scant ¼ cup batter onto griddle to form an approximate 3” to 4” round cake. Cook cake until bubbles form on top surface. Flip and continue cooking until golden brown. Adjust heat and/or consistency of batter (adding additional milk, by the tablespoon), as necessary. Continue with remaining batter.
- Arrange 2 to 3 cakes on a plate and top each with 1 orange round, a sprinkle of chopped almonds, and a drizzle of pure maple syrup (butter or margarine may also be used as a spread on cakes, if desired).
Note: To make orange rounds, turn orange on its side and cut thin slices from both ends to trim; discard ends. Stand orange upright and carefully cut away peel and pith, following the natural curve of fruit. Turn peeled orange on its side again and slice into rounds.